Learn More

Frequently Asked Questions


  • How do I apply to become a Huron student?

    Each student’s application process may be different, dependent on where they’re from, which program(s) they’re applying to and a wide variety of other influencers specific to that applicant and their situation. However, generally, this is the process: Step 1: Submit your Application. All applicants requesting full-time admission to Huron must apply through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre ( Complete the online 101 form if you are a current Ontario high school student, or the OUAC 105 form for all other applicants. Please note, Huron is found within Western University. Step 2: Send Supporting Documents. All students who are not attending an Ontario High School must produce transcripts. Transcripts can be sent directly to Huron's Admission's Office. Additional Admission Forms can be completed to support your application. Step 3: Confirm your Attendance. To accept Huron's Offer of Admission online, please confirm on your OUAC account.  Time is of the essence! The application recommended deadline for international applicants is May 15. Applicants are encouraged to send transcripts as soon as one full term/semester of their final year has been completed.

Academic Advising

  • What resources are available for incoming students to assist with course selection and enrollment?

    Students who are starting at Huron in September should attend a Course Registration session and review Huron’s course selection and registration resources (including the registration guide and course selection video), available here: The course registration period is anticipated to open for incoming students by mid-June. Students are encouraged to enrol in courses within the first few weeks of course registration opening in order to maximize their course scheduling options. Changes can be made to course enrolment until the add deadline in early September.
  • Do any Huron courses include a travel component?

    Yes, Huron’s Political Science department has offered a course where students travel to Rwanda. Huron’s Centre for Global Studies department also has opportunities for students to get Huron credit while travelling internationally. Typically, students will have to submit an application for these courses. Reach out to the appropriate department to learn more.
  • What is a Letter of Permission (LOP)?

    An LOP allows students to take a required course away from Huron and have it count it towards their degree. Only courses required for one’s program will be considered. Contact Huron Student Support Services for additional information.
  • How can I do an exchange through Huron?

    Students who’d like to go on exchange are encouraged to do so in their third year. Tuition is paid to Huron. For additional information about exchange, visit Huron’s website:
  • What is Huron’s Residency Requirement?

    Residency Requirements dictate that Huron students must take at least 60% of their courses at Huron each academic year. The other 40% can be taken at Western, King’s, or Brescia. If a course is offered at Huron, students must take it at Huron. If students are not meeting Residency, they may be removed from one or more of their courses. Residency Requirements do not apply during the Spring/Summer term or for students on exchange.

Career Development

  • How do I get involved in volunteer opportunities?

    There are two ways to be involved in volunteer opportunities. Check out Huron’s group Volunteer Opportunities by clicking here : OWL> Sites> Projects > Huron’s Career Development Opportunities> Volunteer Booking an appointment with your Career Development Coordinator.
  • What opportunities are available within the community?

    Volunteer opportunities are available on a local, national, and global scale for student participation and can short or long-term.  Community-based opportunities include, but are not limited to:
    • Supporting local non-profit organizations
    • Supporting local community and neighbourhood resource centres
    • National and Global Relief Efforts
    • Annual local events
    • Tutoring programs
    • Volunteer and service opportunities abroad
  • What opportunities are available on campus?

    • Participation in clubs
    • Supporting campus events
    • Assisting with academic initiatives
    • Assisting with Student Council as Commissioners or Year Representative
    • Residence Council and its initiatives
    • Assisting with departmental initiatives in a student leadership capacity
  • What types of volunteer opportunities are available?

    Volunteer opportunities can be short-term, long-term or project based.  Volunteer opportunities are offered both on campus and in the community at various local non-profit organizations.  Students have variety of opportunities to choose from that suit their unique needs and interest.
  • Why volunteer?

    Huron’s vision is to ensure that every student experiences the value of civic engagement through volunteer service prior to graduating.  Volunteer experiences are unpaid, not for credit opportunities where students donate their time to serve their community.  Volunteer experience provides students with the opportunity to understand the value and demand for citizens to be civically active, gain relevant experience and develop their character.


  • How do I confirm I am graduating?

    Please login to Student Center to ensure you’ve successfully completed all the requirements to apply to graduate. 
  • Where do I get my graduation photos taken?

    Huron students can learn more about having their photos taken and book an appointment here.  
  • What if I can’t make it to graduation?

    If you are unable to attend your Convocation ceremony, you may receive your degree here.


  • What is a Special Exam?

    A Special Examination is any exam other than the regularly scheduled exam or Supplemental Exam. A Special Exam may be offered only with the permission of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, and in consultation with the course instructor and Department Chair. Permission for a Special Exam starts in the Academic Advising Office. Proper documentation is required prior to an appointment with an Academic Advisor.  Special exams are normally written no later than one month after the end of the examination period.
  • What is the procedure for making up a final exam?

    Requests for a make-up exam are granted only on medical, religious, or compassionate grounds. Exams will start at 9 a.m. [Students with two exams will write the second at 1p.m.].  There are separate dates for Brescia, King's and Western courses.    How to request a make-up exam:   1. Obtain documentation to support your absence. Medical: Download the Student Medical Certificate form. Have the form completed by a physician. You have five days after the exam date has passed to turn in medical documentation, but be sure to see your doctor on the day you are ill, and not afterwards.   Religious: Read the policy for Exam Accommodation based on Religious Grounds. Documentation is not necessarily needed, but you do need to follow these steps two weeks before the exam.    Compassionate: These are extra-ordinary circumstances beyond your control; death in the family, immediate family member gravely ill, court appearance, house fire, etc. Suitable documentation includes: death certificate, link to an obituary, court documents, insurance papers.   2. Take your documentation to Student Support Services (W 45). The Advisor will fill out a Recommendation for Special Exam form.   3.  Take the Special Exam form provided by the Academic Advisor to the course instructor for signature. By signing the form, the instructor agrees to set the exam.   Please note: The signature of the instructor can take the form of an e-mail message indicating agreement with the relief sought, to be attached to the form that is returned to Student Support Services.   4.  Return the Special Exam form to Student Support Services, W 45. If no form has been received back, signed, the student’s name will not go on the list of those allowed to sit the make-up exam.   The following reasons for missing an exam are not accommodated through Academic Advising: Book a flight and are not able to make the date of the exam because you won't be in London Family booked a vacation and you'd like to join them Summer job starts early Forgot, you slept in, you wrote down the wrong room, etc. It is at your professor's discretion to grant a make-up exam for these reasons. Your professor will have to set the date and find a place for you to write. Your professor is under no obligation to accommodate your absence for reasons outside the official policy. 
  • Help! This is my first set of exams, what do I do?

    Stay calm.  If you have attended classes and kept up on the readings you are already in a good position to do well on the exam.  Make a study plan.  Determine when you will study and which subject.  Is one subject more difficult than others?  Plan to allot more study time to that subject.    Keep in mind how you study.  Do you study best in quiet?  With others around you?  In a group?  While moving around?  Try to incorporate how you study best into your plan.  Research shows taking short breaks (e.g. after 50 min. of studying) can help with retention of material.   During the year Learning Skills Services offers sessions on Managing Test Stress, Writing Multiple Choice and more.  These sessions are part of your tuition and could provide you with some helpful tips.  They offer handouts and advice on exam preparation.    The library also houses books on study skills that may be useful.
  • What are legitimate reasons for missing an exam?

    Students who miss an exam can be accommodated for medical, religious and compassionate grounds (death in the family). Missing a final exam is a serious situation and requires students to submit documentation to support their absence. You can find more information about Huron's requirements and policies at Academic Accommodation.   Travel is not a reason to miss an exam.  Do not schedule holidays, vacations, etc. during the entire exam period.  If your exam falls on a date that conflicts with a religious tradition you must notify the Academic Advising office at least two weeks in advance of the exam.
  • What happens if I miss an exam?

    If you are unable to write a final exam as scheduled, you must meet with an Academic Advisor within five days to request permission to write a Special Examination.    Be sure to notify your professor that you will be unable to write the exam at its originally scheduled time.   Be prepared to provide written documentation to your Academic Advisor that verifies the reason that you are unable to write the exam as scheduled.    Provided that your documentation is appropriate, your Academic Advisor will complete a Recommendation for a Special Examination Form.   Your instructor must sign the Recommendation for a Special Examination Form. If the course is on another campus, the Department Chair will also need to sign the form. You are then to return it to an Academic Advisor for final approval before the special exam date.    You must make these arrangements within five (5) business days of the missed exam so that you do not miss a scheduled makeup exam.     Email to make an appointment.  

Intent to Register

  • What do I do if I want to change my module after I complete my Intent to Register?

    During the ITR period, you may go online and make changes to your original selection(s) at any time. Once the ITR period is over, you will need to contact Academic Advising (email to see if the changes can be made.


  • What can I get from HBX program?

    Harvard Business School Online (Harvard) provides students from all backgrounds with a chance to gain the fundamentals of business thinking. The online program will enable Huron students to contribute to business discussions and decision-making, whether you’re looking to advance your career, considering graduate school, or exploring new career paths. Like Huron, Harvard is driven by interactive peer-to-peer engagement and committed to student success. Harvard has designed a virtual learning environment where Huron students can collaborate with other students and a diverse group of professionals from all over the world. This program was developed by Harvard faculty members to instill a deep understanding of essential business concepts and problem-solving skills. Mastering the three courses—Business Analytics, Economics for Managers, and Financial Accounting—will give you fluency you need to succeed in today’s workplace. You will also make connections to peers in the same cohort all over the world, and receive a certificate from Harvard Business School after finish the program successfully.
  • Do I need to apply for an internship opportunity?

    Yes. All students need to meet with the career coordinator to have a career development plan that based on your interests. You will need to submit your resume to apply for an internship. Please check here to learn more: Career Development
  • How to accept an offer?

    You will receive an email after we make an admission decision. Then you can log in to your OUAC account to accept the offer. It may take 1 to 3 business days for the offer to appear on OUAC.
  • Do I need to apply to both MOS and Social Science program?

    You only need to apply to a program once. For example, if you’re interested in both Accounting as well as Finance & Administration, only apply once to the Management and Organizational Studies program. To learn more about the programs that we offer, please please click here to check the program list.
  • If my IELTS/TOEFL score does not meet the admission requirement for direct entry, should I apply to a separate language program?

    No, you don’t need to apply to a language program separately. Upload your IELTS/TOEFL score to your Huron Application Portal and we will automatically you place you in the appropriate language program with our language pathway partner.


  • Want to learn more?

    Contact your Career Development Coordinator! Click here!
  • What is an Entrepreneurial internship?

    Entrepreneurial Internships are offered in conjunction with the Small Business Centre. Interested students will prepare individual business plans in February and are expected to run their summer company from May to August.  Learn more about the registration process, click here.
  • What is a Research Internship?

    Research Internships are rare at most undergraduate institutions, yet they are very common practice at Huron. Huron's Centre for Undergraduate Research Learning (CURL) was established to promote personalized student mentorship and research collaboration. There are three main types of research internships. CURL Student Research Fellowships are paid $1,500 for each selected CURL Student Research Fellowship. CURL’s unique program funds student researchers who are eager to thoroughly investigate a research question or unique area of interest. Want to apply? Check out the CURL page for more information. Globalink Research Awards Stem from Huron’s partnership with Mitacs. Students who are interested in traveling for 12-24 months to conduct a research in an approved country are encouraged to apply for a $6,000 grant. Please contact your Career Development Coordinator if interested. Research Assistants are students who work directly for Huron faculty members. Research Assistants experience first-hand what it is like to be part of a research study.
  • What is an Academic Internship?

    Huron currently offers two types of academic internships which are for-credit opportunities. Management and Organizational Studies (MOS) Internships are approved 8 – 16 month, full-time employment, which can occur anywhere across the globe. MOS students in their 3rd-year of study apply to this program and compete two to four work terms. This type of internship extends a student’s four-year degree to five years. To learn more about the application process for MOS Internships here. Interdisciplinary Studies Internships are approved 4-month, full-time employment, which can occur anywhere across the globe. Student co-construct a personalized course outline with their faculty supervisor, while their on-side learning is monitored by an industry supervisor. To learn more about the prerequisites, please see this link.
  • What is a Career Internship?

    Career Internships are not-for-credit job opportunities, which allow students to earn an income and gain work experience in their interested area either on or off campus. Check out Jobs opportunities by click here : OWL> Sites> Projects > Huron’s Career Development Opportunities> Jobs/Interns

Parking (Honk App)

  • Do I need a credit card to sign up?

    A payment method isn’t required to sign up for a Honk account; however, you’ll need a valid VISA, MasterCard, Visa Debit, Masterpass or PayPal account to pay for your parking session. You can add as many payment methods as you’d like.
  • Can I be reminded that my parking is expiring?

    Absolutely! We send you a text message 15 minutes before your parking is about to expire. If you’re running late or need more time, you can easily extend your session right from your phone.
  • I have more than one vehicle plate number on my account. How can I make sure the correct vehicle is being parked each time?

    You can add multiple vehicles to your Honk account. When paying by phone, you can pick the license plate of the vehicle you’re parking. For faster checkout, you can set a plate as your primary vehicle so it’ll be selected for you automatically.
  • How can I find out if my parking was processed?

    Once you’ve paid for parking, we’ll email you a receipt. You can view all your transactions by visiting the Receipts page in your profile.
  • What if I pay for parking for the wrong license plate?

    Mistakes happen. Please make another purchase (right away so you don’t get a ticket!) with the correct license plate and email us BOTH invoices to: We will refund the first purchase


  • Where can I find additional Frequently Asked Questions on Residence and Student Life?

    You can find all more information on our FAQ website page.
  • Where can I find information on important dates?

    You can find all sessional dates in the Academic Calendar.
  • Campus tours are currently not being offered. Does Huron have a virtual tour?

    Yes! Please visit to see Huron’s campus.
  • How will I know if I am receiving an Entrance Scholarship?

    The Recruitment & Admissions Office will confirm your admission once final grades are received. If you are a 105 student, please arrange to have official transcripts sent directly to Huron. Once your admission and scholarship has been finalized, a confirmation letter with be posted in your Huron Portal.
  • How will Huron communicate with me regarding my residence application?

    You are now officially a Huron student, and will need to ensure you are checking your UWO email on a regular basis. All communication from Huron will be sent to this email address.


  • Why can't you just contact my parents or can my parents receive my financial information?

    Privacy legislation prevents Universities from contacting a third party. Students should complete a Release of Information form to allow financial information to be discussed with a supporting individual. Click here for more information.
  • When are tuition fees and residence fees due?

    Tuition and residence fees are due in full by August 9th for all students. If you are paying by instalments, the First instalment is due August 9th for all students. Note: Move-in to residence will not be permitted if your first instalment is unpaid. The Second (final) instalment is due November 29th. For more information on tuition amounts and deadlines, please click here.
  • I have a credit on my account – how do I access this money.

    Refunds will be issued upon request. Please allow up to 6-8 weeks for the refund to be processed. Refunds will be completed via e-transfers for students with Canadian bank accounts or wire transfers for students with international bank accounts.
  • Where can I find my Huron Student Statement?

    Statements are accessed online through the Huron Finance Portal. Please sign in with your Western ID and password. Student Finance Statements for the academic year will be available until April 30th for the Fall/Winter term, after which they will no longer be accessible from the portal. Please print/save a copy of your statement for your records. You can also get a receipt for your payments by printing a copy of your statement. Note that you CANNOT access your Huron Student Statement through the Western University Student Centre as they will not have your fees. More information on your statement can be found here.
  • What happens if I do not pay my tuition fees? 

    If you do not pay your tuition fees, late fees will be applied and your account will be sealed. This means you will be unable to change your courses, retrieve your grades, apply for the next academic year, get a letter from the registrar’s office, receive official transcripts, or graduate. Huron reserves the right to de-register students from courses for non-payment. Students will not be reinstated into courses until payment is made in full. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be able re-enroll in a course once deregistration has occurred. Unpaid accounts will ultimately be sent to a collection agency.

Intersession/Summer Tuition

  • When will I know how much I owe for Intersession/Summer Courses?

    Personalized statements for Intersession/Summer courses will be available from May 4, 2022 until July 9, 2022.  Additional information can be found here.
  • Can I apply for OSAP or Financial Aid for the Intersession/Summer Courses?

    Yes, OSAP and Financial Aid is available for Intersession/Summer Courses. Visit this website for more information including deadlines and how to apply.  Additional information can be found here.
  • When is Intersession/Summer tuition due?

    Full payment is due on May 16, 2022.  If you register for a course after this date payment is due immediately. For full payment details please click here.
  • Where can I get a receipt that shows how much money I have paid for my tuition and ancillary fees?

    If you did not save a copy of your Huron Student Statement Portal, you can request a copy from Student Accounts. Please email Student Billing to request a copy.
  • Where do I get my T2202 for Intersession/Summer courses?

    T2202’s are available on your Western Student Center under Finances=> Tax Receipts => My T2202A .  Additional information can be found here.