Learn More

Huron University
Information & Privacy

Huron University is committed to protecting the privacy of those who study or work here (currently and formerly) and protects personal information consistent with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).

If you have any questions or concerns about your personal information or privacy, please contact

Privacy Breach Reporting
Requesting Access / Corrections to Personal Information
Personal Information Banks
Records Retention and Disposal Schedules


Four Step Plan for Handling Privacy Breach (PDF)
FIPPA Tips for Faculty & Staff (PDF)
Minute Taking Tips (PDF)

Privacy breach reporting

Privacy is breached when personal information is collected, retained, used or disclosed inconsistent with FIPPA rules. A common breach is loss, theft or accidental disclosure of personal information, e.g. emailing to wrong parties, lost or stolen unencrypted computers or memory sticks, break-in to your office, home or vehicle.

Huron University is responsible for the proper handling of personal information. It is essential that privacy breaches be identified quickly, so effective remediation can be aggressively implemented as soon as possible.

Immediately report all possible privacy issues, such as inappropriate disclosure of personal information, to your supervisor, and complete Huron’s Privacy Breach Notification form. This supports a quick and effective response. If uncertain, always report.

Requesting Access / Corrections to Personal Information

Corrections to Personal Information

Huron University collects the most accurate personal information from you. If you believe there is an error or omission in your personal information held at Huron, you may request a correction in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

To request a correction to your personal information, please complete the Correction Request Form electronically. There are no fees for processing a request to correct your own personal information.

Huron University, through its administrative and academic units, routinely provides information to the public. It is not always required to make a formal access request for information which can be released to the public routinely.

Informal Process to Request Access to Personal Information

You can begin the process for requesting information with an informal request to the unit/department you believe may hold the information required. Describe the records requested to the personnel in the Department. You will be assisted in your request and told whether the information is readily available, or if you will be required to submit a formal request under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).

Formal Process to Request Access to Personal Information

When an informal request to access information is denied, a formal application can be made under FIPPA. You will be required to fill out the Access Request Form electronically.

Generally, a request to access your information is required before a request to change your personal information is submitted. For both an access request and a change to personal information request, please make sure to note the following:

  • Provide enough detail to enable the University to identify the records.
  • Indicate whether you want a copy of the record or to examine the original record.
  • Attach proof of payment of the required fees.
  • The Privacy Officer or their delegate may contact you to clarify your request.
  • The University must make every reasonable effort to respond to a request no later than 30 calendar days after receiving it, unless specific exceptions apply that warrant an extended period of time for the University to respond.

An applicant may request the Ontario Information and Privacy Commissioner to review any decision made by the University that relates to a request for access or correction.

Appeal Procedure

Under the Act you may appeal any University decision regarding access or correction to Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner within 30 days from the date of receipt of the letter denying your request. Make your appeal by writing to:

Information and Privacy Commissioner / Ontario:
1400-2 Bloor Street East
Toronto, ON  M4W 1A8

Provide the Commissioner’s office with:

  • Your name, address and telephone number.
  • The Access Request Number (case file #) assigned to your request by Huron’s Privacy Officer.
  • A copy of the original request for information that was sent to Huron University.
  • The reasons for your appeal.

The appeal must be accompanied by the appropriate fee. Visit the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario website for further details.

If you have any questions about the access or appeal process, please do not hesitate to contact Huron’s Privacy Officer.