Learn More

Huron University’s Safety & Accessibility for Experiential Learning Opportunities

The safety and well-being of our community is of the utmost importance to Huron. This site provides resources to students, faculty and staff who are leading and participating in both credit and not for credit experiential learning opportunities organized through the University.

Off Campus Experiences

Faculty and staff coordinating off-campus experiences are responsible for ensuring that all students complete and submit the necessary documents prior to the experience.

The faculty or staff member leading the trip must:

  • Notify the Admissions Office at and request to have the experience added to the Acknowledgement and Assumption of Risk Form and ensure that all required documentation is being collected.
  • Share the Acknowledgement and Assumption of Risk Form and other required documents with participants.
  • Ensure all students and staff have completed the form prior to the experience.

Once an experience is added to the Acknowledgement and Assumption of Risk form, all submissions will be sent to the Faculty Office or Department, as well as the Huron staff/faculty member that is leading the trip. After completion of the off-campus experience, the FASS Office or the Department will archive the completed forms.

Short Term Experience Requirements

Long Term Experience Requirements

Note: if the student’s time at the off-campus site will extend beyond a single day, or if student supervision during the off-campus activity will be the responsibility of the site, a Placement Agreement may be required (see below). 

Safety & Accessibility

The following information will support to ensure that all required actions for university sanctioned travel are completed prior to the experience. Learning activities include but are not limited to field trips, internships, research collaborations and travel abroad.

Requirements Matrix

Please review the Huron University Student Travel Requirements Matrix to identify the required steps to ensure student safety and fulfill Huron’s responsibilities.

Huron University Experiential Learning Requirements Matrix (Within Canada)

Huron University Experiential Learning Requirements Matrix (International Travel)

Supporting Students Participating in Off-Campus Experiences

Off-campus experiences may require specific actions by students, staff, and faculty prior to the start date. Please consult the Huron University Experiential Learning Risk Management Chart to confirm which of the following are required.

Travel Insurance

Any person participating in university sanctioned travel must have the appropriate insurance coverage. All full-time students that are registered in a Huron program have the coverage listed below.

Major Medical And Accidental Death & Dismemberment

  • Insurer – Aon/Sutton Special Risk
  • Coverage for any accident which happens on a student volunteer trips outside of Ontario and/or Canada.
  • Entities Insured – Student volunteers under the age of 65 in course placements as part of non-required course work.

Group Occupational Accident Insurance

  • Insurer – Chubb Life Insurance Company of Canada
  • Coverage for any accident which happens while an Insured is performing the duties of their Occupation, either on or off the premises including while on a Business Trip authorized by Huron.
  • Entities insured – All active, students participating in Huron’s co-op placement program, who are under the age of 70.


  • Insurer – Canada Life Assurance Company
  • Health, dental coverage & Emergency Travel Insurance (see details below) for students enrolled in the Plan.
  • Download your Insurance Assistance Card HERE.

If students have opted out for PurpleCARE, they must provide proof of adequate coverage (travel and medical insurance) to the individual leading the travel experience.

Student Plan

Note: eligible students who have comparable health and/or dental coverage may apply to opt-out of the plan(s) each year. All opt-out forms must be completed on-line and must be received by the applicable deadline.

Group Out-of-Province/Canada Travel Medical Emergency Insurance

Provides coverage of up to a maximum of $5 million per insured person per coverage period for certain expenses incurred as a result of an emergency while travelling on trips that originated from your Canadian province or territory of residence. It is important to remind you that this coverage is not available in the province where you attend school or in your country of origin.

Your coverage period is 180 days per trip. When travel is required to complete a course of study, coverage can be extended to 365 days, following confirmation from your academic supervisor. Please check with your campus administrator for details. Coverage is subject to the terms and conditions provided in the Benefits Booklet.
In addition, this insurance provides coverage for the following benefits:

  • Up to $5,000 per insured person, per trip for trip cancellation


It is recommended by Huron to use our recommended travel agency to schedule all travel (within Canada and abroad). The benefits of using an agency include, but are not limited to, group rates and bookings (i.e., students will travel together on train, airplane etc.), 24/7 support worldwide, and organization of payment (online payment).

Ellison Travel & Tours Ltd

Tasha Whitfield, Corporate Account Manager

311 Main Street, P.O. Box 1990, Exeter, Ontario, Canada N0M 1S7

+1 (519) 235-2000 / x332


Huron University’s Code of Conduct

Students participating in experiential learning opportunities are representatives of Huron University and will need to adhere to Huron’s Code of Conduct Policy.  

Accessibility in Experiential Learning

Consideration of the accessibility needs of students with disabilities should be made during the development and implementation of experiential learning opportunities. Additionally, it is important for faculty, students, and external partners to be aware that accommodation is available and information about who to contact for assistance is easily available.

Planning: This resource, discussing considerations of student accessibility when teaching outside the classroom, from Ontario’s Universities Accessible Campuses may be helpful in the planning process.

Accommodation: Students should be referred to the appropriate campus resource (departmental coordinator, faculty member, etc.) to inquire about accommodation if needed, or the student can be referred directly to Students Accessibility Services who will work collaboratively with the student and the campus resource to put accommodation in place.


Follow Us For More Updates