Learn More

International Study Permits


The information on this page will be continuously updated as further information is received and confirmed by the government.

Important Updates:

Earlier in January, Canada’s Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship of Canada (IRCC), Marc Miller, announced changes to Canada’s international student program stating Canada will implement a temporary two-year cap on international study permits. The government has prioritized postsecondary education programs that equip graduates for high-demand careers, such as the invaluable programs that Huron offers. Ontario has announced 22 of 23 universities will keep study permit applications at the 2023 level. We are pleased to confirm that Huron will maintain its study permit applications and will not be subject to any reduction. 

For new study permit applications submitted after January 22, 2024, undergraduate international students must now include a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) to support their application for a Study Permit. Current undergraduate and graduate students with valid study permits, as well as prospective Master’s students, are exempt from this requirement.

Study Permit Application & Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL):

International students wishing to study in Canada must now include a Provincial Attestation Letter with their application to the IRCC for a new Study Permit. Please see the FAQ below for further information on the Application Process.

Huron has always prioritized quality over quantity in student experience – we’ve always intentionally limited our incoming cohort to approximately 150 international students per year, ensuring that we deliver an elite university experience with highly personalized admission, visa, career, and wellness support for every student thanks to our industry-leading staff to student ratio.

– MOUSTAFA EZZ, AVP Recruitment & International Relations

Students who accept their Offer of Admission and complete the payment of their admission deposit will be eligible to receive Huron’s comprehensive Study Permit Guide that will provide you with a step-by-step explanation of the Study Permit application process and how to apply. You will also be invited to complimentary Zoom support sessions with Huron’s official licensed immigration advisor (RCIC) who will provide an overview of the process and answer any questions you or your family may have to ensure your Study Permit application process is a smooth experience with all the support you may need.


How do I apply for a study permit?

All international students who wish to pursue a program of study of at least six months in length in Canada must hold a valid study permit that authorizes studies at any Designated Learning Institution (DLI) such as Huron University.
Huron’s DLI number is O19332573852
– The first digit is the capital letter “O”, not the number zero “0”
– Huron’s DLI number can also be found on the second page of your Letter of Acceptance

International students are responsible for applying for their initial study permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Full instructions on the process, including any requirements specific to your region, can be found on this IRCC page: Study Permit – How to Apply. All applicants applying for a new study permit are required to include a Provincial Letter of Attestation (PAL) with their study permit application.

How do I receive my Provincial attestation Letter (PAL) from Huron?

Please carefully read the instructions provided by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and follow the Document Checklists provided on their website and by their regional visa offices.

In addition to the documents required by IRCC, please ensure you submit all the following PDF documents from Huron in your Study Permit application:

– Your Letter of Acceptance (LOA) PDF (be sure to upload all pages including the scholarship/financial aid page and immigration details page, not just the first page).

New in 2024 – You must now include a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) with your study permit application. Once you accept your offer of admission to Huron and complete the payment of your $3,000 admission deposit, we will issue your PAL.

– The official Huron receipt showing your tuition payment to Huron. Pay your required amount of tuition using any of the following payment options: Huron Payment Options. When making your tuition payment, please be sure to include your Student ID Number (located at the top of your Letter of Acceptance) in your payment details otherwise we will be unable to locate your payment. After making a payment, it may take up to 5 business days for your payment to be received and processed by Huron. You can download all your required documents above by logging in to your Huron Application Portal account and selecting “My Application Status” and selecting “Open” next to your Program Application.

To receive your Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) please follow the instructions below:

1. Accept your offer of admission to Huron. a. If you applied through OUAC, accept the offer of admission through the OUAC website. Once Huron has received the update from OUAC, you will be prompted to pay a $3,000 admission deposit in the “My Applications” section of the portal.

b. If you applied to Huron directly, please confirm your acceptance by paying the $3,000 admission deposit “My Applications” section of the HuronConnect portal.

2. Confirm the required information is accurate and consistent with your legal documents (i.e. passport). Note: any inconsistencies will result in a cancelled study permit application.

3. Huron will upload the Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) to the Huron Connect portal once the letter has been received. You will be notified by email when the letter is available.

What other documents will be required by IRCC for my Study Permit application?

If you are applying under the Regular Stream (non-SDS), please carefully review the required documents on this page. If you are applying under the SDS Stream, please carefully review the required documents on this page.

Applicants should always check for additional requirements specific to the country they are applying in by referring the visa office instructions which can be accessed on this page. Note: you need to answer the questions under “Get specific instructions on how to apply” first.

If you have received an Educational Loan from a financial institution in your country, be sure to include the details of your loan approval in your application.

Applying for a Study Permit Extension from within Canada (Including Secondary School Students Who Already Have a Study Permit)

If you are currently in Canada and can’t complete your Huron program before your current study permit expires, you must apply to extend your study permit before it expires.

If you have been studying at a secondary school in Canada and your study permit is still valid, you don’t need to apply for a new study permit. If you want to work while you study, you may need to change the conditions of your study permit. To do this, you’ll need to apply for a new study permit from within Canada.

If you are applying for a study permit extension from within Canada, the study permit will be mailed to your Canadian mailing address. If you also need a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for travel and re-entry into Canada during your studies, you can apply for a TRV separately from inside Canada.

Custodianship for Minors (students under 17 years)

Minor children who are less than 17 years of age and come to Canada to study without a parent or legal guardian must be cared for by a responsible adult in Canada. This person is known as a custodian. A notarized custodianship declaration, such as the form Custodianship Declaration – Custodian for Minors Studying in Canada (IMM 5646) (PDF, 1 MB), must be completed by the parents or legal guardians in the country of origin and by the custodian in Canada.

Minor children between 17 years of age and 18 years of age, may need a custodian at the discretion of an immigration officer.

See IRCC’s information on minor children studying in Canada.

For further information or support with this process, please contact

When Should I Apply for a Study Permit?

The earlier you apply the better. Apply immediately upon accepting your Offer of Admission to Huron as it can take several months for IRCC to process your application.

For students beginning their studies in September 2024, we strongly recommend submitting your Study Permit application in April 2024. Under no circumstances should you delay submitting the application beyond May 15, 2024 at the latest.