Learn More

A warm welcome to our friends from around the world

Each year Huron welcomes students from all over the world. These students help contribute to our vibrant university community and, in turn, they gain valuable international experience; learn new skills; and make lifelong friends they may have otherwise never met!

Critical Global Engagement at Huron

Huron is committed, in its teaching, learning, and research, to critical engagement with the effects of global flows of people, ideas, resources, and capital. We recognize and actively explore how these flows affect scholarship, community, and community ties, privilege, and the development of sustainable, reciprocal, and mutually beneficial relationship within a globalized world.

Huron students are provided with several opportunities to critically engage in a global world.

  • Huron welcomes over 100 international students from over 30 different countries to live and study alongside Canadian students.
  • Huron students can go on a semester or yearlong academic exchange, selecting one of 24 universities located in 15 different countries.
  • Huron’s exchange partners offer Summer Study Abroad opportunities.
  • Student Support Services recruits several student leaders each year to serve as Peer Guides who help plan academic and cultural activities to assist our international and exchange students with settling into the Huron community.   Click on the links on the left menu or on the items below to find out more
  • Motivated Huron student can also arrange for their own global educational experience using the Letter of Permission process.

Important Information for Parents

Huron at Western University’s small campus gives us the opportunity to get to know your student in order to help them achieve their academic and post-graduation plans. Not only do we welcome students from over 29 countries, but we also encourage students to consider international experiences to enhance their education.

Huron students can go abroad to study, volunteer, or work both through our programs or initiatives they seek out on their own. Parental support is an important part of a students’ decision to go abroad and we hope to address any questions and concerns you may have as the parent of an international student or a student considering going abroad.

Experiential Learning Opportunity

POL 3395/GLE 3001 – Virtual Experiential Learning in Post-Genocide Peacebuilding: Rwanda in Comparative Context
Summer Day, July 26 – August 13

Travel to Rwanda virtually this summer and learn about peacebuilding, transitional justice & peace education together with undergrads at the University of Rwanda.

Highlights include:

  • Virtual site visits to Rwandan genocide memorials & museums
  • Guest lectures from UR professors
  • Discussions with Rwandan community peacebuilders
  • Peace education workshops with Rwandan NGOs
  • Virtual attendance at the ‘Narrating Transitional Justice: History, Memory, Poetics & Politics’ conference
  • Comparative study into transitional justice re: Canada’s cultural genocide against the Indigenous people, with guest lectures from professors & graduate students, virtual site visits to residential school educational centres & more.


  • First two weeks will be a ‘virtual summer school’ with a senior undergraduate class at the University of Rwanda.
  • Third week will be collaborative group work between Huron/UWO and UR students.
  • This is a cross-listed GLE & Political Science course, but open to those in other disciplines as well.

For more information, email!

Immigration Updates

The information provided below is from the International and Exchange Student Centre at Western University and is current as of November 10, 2016. For the most up-to-date information, visit Western International or Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.


  • Temporary Residents (Visitors, Tourists, Students, Workers) travelling to Canada
  • Mexican nationals to become visa-exempt for Canada
  • Canadian citizens holding dual nationality/citizenship travelling to Canada
  • Chinese nationals holding B-visas for the USA travelling to the USA
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for temporary residents (Visitors, Students, Workers)
Visa-Exemption for Mexican nationals
Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport
Chinese B Visa Holders and EVUS

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Go to the Government of Canada’s official website to apply for an eTA. It only costs $7 CAD. Most eTA applications are approved within minutes of applying.

For further information on this program, click here.

If you are citizen of Mexico, as of December 1, 2016, you will no longer require a temporary resident visa (TRV) to travel to and enter Canada. Instead, you will require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

See above for further details.  If you wish to study or work in Canada, you will still need to qualify and apply for a proper permit.

For further information on this program, click here.

If you are a dual Canadian citizen used to travelling to or transiting through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport, you will no longer be able to do so as of November 10, 2016. You will need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight.

If your country needs you to enter and exit that country using a passport issued by its government, you will still need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. Make sure to carry both passports when you travel.

Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you will still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

For further information on this program, click here.

Beginning November 29, 2016, all travellers holding a People’s Republic of China passport with a 10-year U.S. B1/B2, B1, or B2 visa must enroll in the Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) program.

For more information on this program, please visit here.


I Have Applied, Now What?

Thank you for choosing Huron, track your application

Track Application

I Have been accepted, now what?

Congrats! Find everything you need to know about life at Huron

Life at Huron

Key Contacts